Armed robbery is one of the most serious and potentially dangerous crimes committed in the Bahamas today. A robber commits a hold-up because he or she believes that their profit will be worth the risk. By decreasing the possible profit and increasing the risk of apprehension, potential victims can reduce their chance of becoming a target. Personal safety is always the most important consideration when planning how to react to an armed robbery. .
You can avoid becoming a victim of such crime by adopting the following crime prevention measures:
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash or valuables when going out alone
• Before getting out of your vehicle at home, or while walking in any parking lot, grocery store, airport, shopping center, etc., have your keys ready.
• Always be alert and attentive to the surroundings. If you suspect that you are being followed, remain calm and proceed to a more crowded area to seek assistance.
• Don’t use ATM machines at night. Plan ahead and get your cash during safer times. Use ATM machines that are very visible. Avoid isolated ATM machines.
• If you are being followed, don’t drive home or get out. Drive to the nearest police station, open store or business for help. Try to note the license number and description of the car and persons following you.
• Arrange for someone to escort you if you are returning home late.
Should you be a victim of crime, please do not resist but take note of the description of the culprit e.g. his appearance, clothing, height, physical details and the direction or mode of escape. Call the Police as soon as it is safe to do so.
If you come across any suspicious person(s) loitering around your residence or have any information pertaining to any crime, please do not hesitate to contact call the police emergency at ‘919’ or Crime Stoppers at 328-tips
Crime Prevention – A Shared Responsibility